Day 1: Thursday, Feb 9
What is it, and why do we need it?
Enigma Machine What was it's flaw?
The Moral Dilemma
Assignment: Find an article from WWII to today about military cryptography issues, methods, concerns and/or programs. Use the Impact Research Summary sheet to document and summarize your reading. In the citation space, provide an APA Citation, along with a notation of reputability. Due Monday at the beginning of class.
Thursday TOTD: Using a Ceasar's Cypher, encrypt a message to any key of your choice on an index card. On a second card, write it's solution and key. Make sure your name is on both index cards.
Day 2: Friday, February 10
How fast can you decode?
Modern Techniques: Alice and Bob and PKE
Explore Modern Cryptography
In your Abstraction Notebook, date and title the next available page as "Research Notes, Cybersecurity."
Using the resources above and below:
- Draw a diagram of Alice, Bob and Eve -- label each as to their analogy to enryption
- Explain what is mean by the "key" of an encryption algorithm
- Explain what a "back door" is and how/when used or exploited.
- Explain biometrics and provide two examples of use.
- Explain components of strong passwords; provide samples of weak, medium and strong passwords.
- Define the word "credentials" as related to computer security.
- Define and diagram HTTPS, public key, private key from the slide on the Carnegie Mellon video.
- Create a Venn Diagram comparing Worms/Virus & Trojan Horse.
Cyber Safety Resources